If you are looking for George Washington quotes for leadership characteristics.
What is George Washington most famous for?
George Washington is often called the “Father of His Country.” He not only served as the first president of the United States, but he also commanded the Continental Army during the American Revolution (1775–83) and presided over the convention that drafted the U.S. Constitution.
Facts About George Washington.
- George Washington was born at Pope’s Creek in 1732.
- George Washington began inheriting enslaved people when he was 11-years-old.
- George Washington’s first career was as a surveyor.
- George Washington contracted smallpox while visiting Barbados.
- George Washington led an attack that started a world war.
- George Washington’s first elected position was in the House of Burgesses.
- George Washington was appointed as commander of the Continental Army in 1775.
- George Washington died from a throat infection.
Also read famous people success and motivational quotes, life stories,
Elon masks, Jim Rohm Quotes, Lao Tzu Quotes, Steve Jobs Quotes
So, what are you looking for? George Washington Quotes on Leadership, George Washington Quotes on Success, George Washington Quotes on Education, George Washington Quotes on Freedom, George Washington quotes on government, George Washington quotes about America, Washington quotes on democracy, Washington quotes on war, Washington famous quotes,
- 1 George Washington Quotes on Leadership
- 2 George Washington famous quotes
- 3 George Washington Quotes on Success
- 4 George Washington Quotes on Education
- 5 George Washington Quotes on Freedom
- 6 , George Washington quotes about America
George Washington Quotes on Leadership
“But if we are to be told by a foreign power what we shall do, and what we shall not do, we have Independence yet to seek, and have contended hitherto for very little.” – George Washington
“Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” – George Washington
“It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn.” – George Washington
“The Hand of providence has been so conspicuous in all this, that he must be worse than an infidel that lacks faith, and more than wicked, that has not gratitude enough to acknowledge his obligations.” – George Washington
“I do not mean to exclude altogether the idea of patriotism. I know it exists, and I know it has done much in the present contest. But I will venture to assert, that a great and lasting war can never be supported on this principle alone. It must be aided by a prospect of interest, or some reward.” – George Washington
“The foundations of our national policy will be laid in the pure and immutable principles of private morality, and the preeminence of free government be exemplified by all the attributes which can win the affections of its citizens, and command the respect of the world.” – George Washington
“The preservation of the sacred fire of liberty, and the destiny of the republican model of government, are justly considered deeply, perhaps as finally, staked on the experiment entrusted to the hands of the American people.” – George Washington
“I hope, some day or another, we shall become a storehouse and granary for the world.” – George Washington
“Citizens by birth or choice of a common country, that country has a right to concentrate your affections. The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations.” – George Washington
“I anticipate with pleasing expectations that retreat in which I promise myself to realize, without alloy, the sweet enjoyment of partaking, in the midst of my fellow citizens, the benign influence of good laws under a free government, the ever favourite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust, of our mutual cares, labours, and dangers.” – George Washington
George Washington famous quotes
“Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.” – George Washington
“To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.” – George Washington
“I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.” – George Washington
“Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.” – George Washington
“Let your discourse with men of business be short and comprehensive.” – George Washington
“Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.” – George Washington
“Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington
“Let your heart feel for the afflictions and distress of everyone, and let your hand give in proportion to your purse.” – George Washington
“We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience.” – George Washington
“Nothing can be more hurtful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army the superiority over another.” – George Washington
George Washington Quotes on Success
“War – An act of violence whose object is to constrain the enemy, to accomplish our will.” George Washington
“It is impossible to reason without arriving at a Supreme Being.” George Washington
“Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble”. George Washington
“Religion is as necessary to reason as reason is to religion. The one cannot exist without the other.” George Washington
“My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth.” George Washington
“It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.” George Washington
“Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.” George Washington
“Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation”. George Washington
“Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness.” George Washington
“Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.” George Washington
George Washington Quotes on Education
- “Heroes have made poets, and poets’ heroes.” George Washington
- To encourage literature and the arts is a duty which every good citizen owes to his country. George Washington
- “Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness.” George Washington
- “I shall expect you will confine yourself to your studies; and diligently attend to them; endeavouring to make yourself master of whatever is recommended to, or required of you. ?. the hours allotted for… George Washington
George Washington Quotes on Freedom
- “It is far better to be alone than to be in bad company.” George Washington
- To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace. George Washington
- “In the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” George Washington
- “Observe good faith and justice towards all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.” George Washington
- “Liberty when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.” George Washington
- “Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected.” George Washington
- “Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” George Washington
- “Truth will ultimately prevail where there are pains to bring it to light.” George Washington
- “We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from the past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience”. George Washington
- “It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.” George Washington
, George Washington quotes about America
- “A pack of jackasses led by a lion is superior to a pack of lions led by a jackass.” – George Washington
- “Be Americans. Let there be no sectionalism, no North, South, East or West. You are all dependent on one another and should be one in union. In one word, be a nation. Be Americans, and be true to yourselves.” – George Washington
- “Do not let anyone claim tribute of American patriotism if they even attempt to remove religion from politics.” – George Washington
- “99% of failures come from people who make excuses.” – George Washington
- “The future of this nation depends on the Christian training of our youth.” – George Washington
- “When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly.” – George Washington
- “The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.” – George Washington
- “The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon.” – George Washington
- “The finite mind of man can never grasp the mysteries of the infinite. It is the highest wisdom, as it is our great happiness, to accept our limitations, to use what we have, and leave the rest to God.” – George Washington
- “The power under the Constitution will always be in the people.” – George Washington
Final Thoughts on These Powerful George Washington Quotes
We hope you enjoyed these handful quotes of George Washington.
What is the main lesson you learned from George Washington?
7 Leadership Lessons George Washington Taught Us.
- Be A Listener
- Be Patient
- Be a Manager
- Be OK With Making Mistakes
- Be Visible
- Be Perceptive
- Be Credible
Books Recommended ByGeorge Washington (MUST READ)
5 Essential Books on George Washington.
- Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow : By On Amazon
- You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington by Alexis Coe : By On Amazon
- The Indian World of George Washington by Colin Calloway : By On Amazon
- Never Caught: The Washingtons’ Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge by Erica Armstrong Dunbar : By On Amazon
- His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph Ellis : By On Amazon
The 10 Best Personal Development Books?
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull. By Richard Bach.
- Think and Grow Rich. By Napoleon Hill.
- Think and Grow Rich. By Napoleon Hill.
- Steve Jobs. By Walter Isaacson.
- Long Walk To Freedom. By Nelson Mandela.
- Stop Acting Rich. By Thomas Stanley.
- As You Think. By James Allen.
- The Magic of Thinking Big. By David Schwartz.
- Talent is Overrated. By Geoff Colvin.
- Spark. By John Ratey.
Share these George Washington Quotes on twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and friends and family who need motivational-inspirational quote for every day.
success quotes, entrepreneur quotes, business quotes, life changing quotes, Start-up Quotes
- 20 Unforgettable Leonardo DiCaprio Quotes from Romeo and Juliet: A Tragic Tale - December 4, 2023
- 20 Inspiring Leonardo DiCaprio Quotes from Wolf of Wall Street: Unleash Success - December 3, 2023
- 20 Unforgettable Leonardo DiCaprio Quotes from Titanic: Life Lessons - December 2, 2023